A brief history of stockton heath lawn tennis club
The Club was founded in 1913 and occupied lands leased from the Daresbury Estates behind houses in Walton Road. Tennis was played on three grass courts.
In 1932 the Club moved to the present location in Delphfields Road leasing land from the Lyons Estate. The wooden pavilion was moved from the original site and three grass courts and two hard courts were laid.
Through the period up to 1956 the area of land leased was increased to accommodate car-parking space and the original courts were replaced by four shale courts. In 1956 the land then occupied and further land was purchased from Appleton Estates. In 1957 some land was sold and made available for the building of houses in Burfield Drive.
In 1981 the original wooden pavilion was severely damaged in a fire shortly after major refurbishment. The present Clubhouse was built on a different site in 1982 and considerable improvements were made to the grounds by landscaping and the planting of trees and shrubs. In 1983 two macadam courts were added. More recently these two courts have been resurfaced with artificial grass carpets and a third court of the same type added.
We now have a fantastic set up of courts at the club which enable us to play year round tennis with five Astroturf courts at the club with two shale courts that are played on during the spring and summer. We also have a further 6 courts in partnership with Bridgewater School. There are six floodlit courts: three tarmac and three astroturf.
- President - Diana Dodds
- Chairman - Sue Hendry
- Vice Chairman - Colin Lewis
- Treasurer - Georgina Hales
- Secretary - Brian Aitchison
- Publicity Officer - Jane Argent
- Membership Secretary - Sarah Szunko
- Match Secretary - George Szunko
Other Committee members include;
- Aidan Williams (Grounds)
- John Carr (Bar)
- Howard Hackney (Coach Liaison)
- Alison Lewis (Social)
- Martyn Bramich
- Milton Wimpenny
- Terry Swainbank